The summer season has begun and outdoor living is the hallmark of the season! The thought of it is delicious and wonderful but it can set up a battle for the skin that will be fought for a lifetime.
It is a yin and yang thing. We cannot live without the sun. Fact, Vitamin D deficiencies can cause brain fog and memory loss. The science is not out yet that Vitamin D deficiencies are caused by lack of sun. But, the science is out that skin cancer and premature aging of all areas of the body are intensified by sun damage, pollution, and other environmental stressors. What a bummer since we love to enjoy all that summer has to offer!
To assist and combat the negative, I have put together the Skin’s Summer Survival Kit to help us love and enjoy the summer with out the pain. The kit can be in your gym bag, golf bag, beach bag, baby bag, back pack, suitcase, flight carry on (you lucky dog)! As you can see it is for anyone at anytime.
In the SSSK you need:
- A Broad Spectrum UVA-UVB Sun Screen. Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are the ingredients to look for. They are water resistant. Remember that SPF means Sun Protection Factor. The applicable SPF # means how many minutes between reapplication when outside in the sun. A pure Mineral Powder is a great UVA-UVB protector!
- A Hat! Sounds too easy but it’s true. The only challenge is that it needs a brim and the brim needs to be at least two inches around to protect properly. A light weight long sleeve shirt with a collar would be great too. This would protect your arms and the back of the neck!
- Drink Up! Not you favorite Pinot or Corona but 32 oz. of H20!! It doesn’t mean you have to have it all at once. Sip it all day. It will become addictive. A good addiction! It will give the the skin cells the hydration they need to combat dehydration which sets up many side effects, some of which are fine lines and wrinkles.
- Exfoliate Turn over a new leaf. Exfoliation is vital for the function of the skin. Cells turn over every 27 days. You do not want to continually build up layers upon layers of dead skin cells! They create dull, lifeless skin and clog your pores. A gentle water based moisturizer with Alpha and Beta Hydroxys as well as Hyaluronic Acid will gently dissolve these dead skin cells and add dramatic hydration to the skin.
- Anti Oxidants It means anti (against) oxidation (rust-breakdown) of your cellular structure. Oxidation means flat out aging of the skin.Vitamins A-C-D-E and CoQ 10 are but some anti-oxidant ingredients that build and protect your cellular structure.
- Sleeping Seven to Eight hours of sleep a night do not go into the SSSK but are a great “beauty” tool for anyone. It can be in a hammock or under an umbrella at the beach! Rest and sleep are a major part of your Skin’s Summer Survival Kit!
Enjoy the summer and everything about it!